Thursday, May 10, 2012

Freedom and Indivisualism

The experience in the MBA each day is so unpredictable. There are days when I get overwhelmed with happiness and then there are days when I am down in the gutter. Consistent excitement is in meeting people who are not in the MBA. I like meeting german baby sitters and teachers. Or students studying english literature in France! Or students from Hong Kong in Paris to study french. Really? How much money does the world have.
Anyway, those are not the things that fascinate me. What amazes me the idea of freedom and society. The idea of no marriages, no babies and none of those things that we have in India. Strong individualism. I think strong individualism is important for a society to make progress, it means that you are covered by the state for your basic needs and need not worry about them. You are free to think about what you wish to think about. And that is why individualism leads to  more profund thinking. You are not caught up in the loops of earning money for fulfilling your social responsibilities. Thats how most people's life passes anyway, Its like they are not living, they are just trying to pass life. Because every stage in life is pre defined for you. Marriages and children are not topics of compromise. Its what you do and what you have to do.
I have become too much of an Indian to break away from the Indian stereotypes. Societal approvals continue to remain important for me.But I knew that there was a certain part of me that was feeling so suffocated back in India, its not like i had ever lived outside the country or ever knew what it was like. But I knew that this could nt be life, that me buying a house, having children was not going to be my life yet. Surely, this place fulfills all those criteria for me. No pressures right now that do not make sense to me.
Quickly want to mention this Irish pub that I went to called the "The green linnet". Highly recommend it. It is very very old,the furniture is gone and dead. But the place on its own has stories to tell.You can sense it in the old furniture lying around.Great english music as well. Perfect ambience.Also sitting with a bunch of 6 strangers who were all very interesting was something. Enjoyed it,one of the best nights ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment